Service wouldn't start and now can't re-install

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
philipellis

Service wouldn't start and now can't re-install

Post by philipellis »

Hi

I'm using 6.2.26 and running two tasks as a service. I noticed that I had some files out of sync and when I looked in the services applet I noticed that BestSync's wasn't running.
I tried to start it manually and it didn't work so I rebooted and it still didn't work.
Next step was to re-install with the "repair" option but I got an error "The installer was interrupted before BestSync could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again."

At this point I thought it best to start from scratch so I un-installed and went for a fresh install. I got exactly the same error and can't get anywhere now.
I've tried to change the install path, the "Just me"/"Everyone" options but nothing works. I've always installed as an Administrator.

I've also manually started the install with an msiexec command line and set logging up. At one point the install pauses at which point the last few lines in the log are:

MSI (s) (CC:08) [06:54:48:103]: Executing op: ProgressTotal(Total=1,Type=1,ByteEquivalent=1300000)
MSI (s) (CC:08) [06:54:48:103]: Executing op: ServiceInstall(Name=BestSyncSvc,DisplayName=BestSync Service,ImagePath="C:\Program Files\BestSync\BestSync 2011\BestSyncSvc.exe",ServiceType=16,StartType=2,ErrorControl=0,,Dependencies=[~],,,Password=**********,Description=To synchronize file with folders, FTP server, network drive.,,)
MSI (s) (CC:08) [06:54:49:610]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=StartServices,Description=Starting services,Template=Service: [1])
MSI (s) (CC:08) [06:54:49:611]: Executing op: ProgressTotal(Total=1,Type=1,ByteEquivalent=1300000)
MSI (s) (CC:08) [06:54:49:611]: Executing op: ServiceControl(,Name=BestSyncSvc,Action=1,Wait=0,)

30 seconds later the lines below are added (and a pile of others rolling back the install)

MSI (s) (CC:08) [06:55:20:022]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038
Info 1920.Service 'BestSync Service' (BestSyncSvc) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
Action ended 06:55:20: InstallExecute. Return value 3.
MSI (s) (CC:08) [06:55:20:024]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (CC:08) [06:55:20:024]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0

I can see that the service installs in the services applet and as soon as it detects that the service can't start it removes the service and roles everything back.
The service is set to run as "Local System".

Has anybody else had this problem and what's the solution?

Thanks.

Philip
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Service wouldn't start and now can't re-install

Post by RiseFly »

May be you can resolve the problem by modifying the installer. Please try to following steps:
1. Download and install the MS Orca tool for modifying the installer.
http://www.risefly.com/tools/Orca.Msi
You can also get this tool from the MS Platform SDKs(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en). For how to use the tool, please refer to the following URL:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255905/en-us
2. Use the Orca tool to open the BestSync installer (BestSyncSetup.msi, or SetupBestSyncFTP.msi), in the "Tables" list, find the "ServiceControl" Table, click the "ServiceControl" Table. In the table, Modify the "Event" parameter from "171" to "160".
Save the installer.
3. Use the modified installer to install BestSync again.
4. Because the modification stops the installer from starting the BestSyncService, please start the BestSync Service in the Service Manager of the Control Panel once.
philipellis

Post by philipellis »

Thanks for those instructions. They allowed BestSync to install with no problem.

However, when I tried to start the service I got an "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion".
Strangely, I got the error message as soon as I tried to start the service - there was no time delay at all.

If it helps, the BestSyncSvc.exe file has a "signing time" of 20 August 2011 at 06:09:35, is version 6.2.2.6 and is 2.82Mb in size.

I can't see anything in the event logs to help with this.

Any ideas on why the service wouldn't start?

Thanks.
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Usually, this problem does not happen.
Please try to rename the task profile file of the service to other name, so when the service starts, it will not load any task profile.
The position of the task profile of the service is descibled here:
http://www.risefly.com/help/logfile.htm
After the service starts, rename back the task profile, and try to restart the task again.
philipellis

Post by philipellis »

I renamed "service.fsf" with no luck
There is a file called "service.fsf~" in the folder too. I rename that and it made no difference.
I even rename the parent folder and, again, got the same error.

What else can I check?
Could I, for example, uninstall and clean everything up to do with BestSync and then re-install?
What steps would I need to do in order to clean files, registry, etc. up in this case?

Thanks.
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

This problem may be something related to your system or the Windows Installer.
Have you updated to the lastest version of the windows installer?
Here you can find the latest version of the Windows Installer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942288/en-us
philipellis

Post by philipellis »

I had considered that but and I've checked that my Windows Installer is up to date.
Is there any way to trace what BestSyncSvc.exe does when I start the service.
The odd thing is that the error message says that the service didn't respond in a timely fashion but the message is displated immediately.

How about I uninstall BestSync and completely remove everything to do with it and then re-install it.
Can you tell me what I need to do to completely remove files/registry/etc?

Thanks.
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

I think this problem does not related to the installer, because BestSync has been installed correctly aftter moditfy the installer by Orca Tool. Please try to start the BestSync Service in the Service Manager for sometimes.
If the Service still can not be started, please try the following command line:
"C:\Program Files\RiseFly\BestSync 2011\BestSyncSvc.exe" /install
"C:\Program Files\RiseFly\BestSync 2011\BestSyncSvc.exe" /start
philipellis

Post by philipellis »

I tried a lot, maybe 20 times, to start the service but it failed each time.
I also tried the two commands that you gave me and they didn't work either.
I have checked my event log and I can see an event 7009 for each time that I've tried to start the service.
The message shown is "A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the BestSync Service service to connect."
An example of the message detail is:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7009</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-09-13T12:59:07.042198200Z" />
<EventRecordID>168493</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="684" ThreadID="7096" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>localhost.local</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="param1">30000</Data>
<Data Name="param2">BestSync Service</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Even though the message says that a 30000 millisecond timeout was reached this isn't the case.
As soon as I start the service I get the error message and the event log is updated.

What next?

Thanks.
philipellis

Post by philipellis »

The same thing has happened on another computer now so it must be a sequence of things that I'm doing that has caused the problem.
I've not had any time to try to work out what's happening since the last update to the call so I stopped the tasks being run as a service and just put them on a normal schedule.

If I can work out what's happened I'll update the post.

Thanks.