Amazon S3 Connection Issues?

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
Pelly1982

Amazon S3 Connection Issues?

Post by Pelly1982 »

I am evaluating BestSync to use within my business and at face value it seems to meet all my needs. However I am having issues setting up Amazon S3 Sync's. I want to sync some files from an S3 Bucket to a local folder. I enter in my Access Key and Secret Access Key and after pressing 'Go' it lists all of my buckets successfully. When I click the expand "+" next to the bucket I get a 403 < Access Denied Error. I also tried to just select the whole bucket to setup a sync task and when the sync tries to run it just gives me an error saying 'Drive Not Ready'.

Any ideas anyone? I am not sure what is going on as I have used other AWS S3 Tools in the past and have been able to navigate and copy files up and down with the same security credentials.

BTW - I have also tried using 8.0.5.1 and the latest BETA version both getting the same issue.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Amazon S3 Connection Issues?

Post by RiseFly »

We have just fixed a bug about Amazon S3 Synchronization feature, please download and try the new version 8.0.52 to see if the problem has been fixed.
'Drive Not Ready' may be that local folder (Disk) is not ready.
Pelly1982

Post by Pelly1982 »

Unfortunately still getting the same issue with that new version. This is what I get after trying to expand one of the Buckets:

>List Bucket.
>GET /
<200 OK

(All of the Buckets list ok here, but then I get this when trying to expand one of them). It is in the Sydney Region too.

>GET /?max-keys=1000
403 Forbidden
<Access Denied
>GET /?max-keys=1000
403 Forbidden
<Access Denied
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Hello,

We have just fixed a bug when operating Amazon S3 region, please download and try version 8.0.5.3 to see if the problem has been fixed.

Best regards
Pelly1982

Post by Pelly1982 »

Hi,

Well it looks like the issue with browsing the S3 Buckets has now been resolved, so thank you for that. However I have come across a couple of more issues unfortunately.

1. In the task that I created for this AWS S3 Sync, my destination folder is a folder on a network drive. I am getting an error "Drive Not Ready" which I think may be related to the fact that a username and password may be required to access that folder on the network drive. I can access it fine in Windows Explorer but that may be because I have already authenticated with the correct details. Is there a way I can supply a username and password when specifying a windows folder that I want to sync to?

2. To continue with my testing I decided to try and test it with a local folder and this time the sync task ran! However it didn't appear to copy the contents of my folder from S3 correctly. I have folders in my S3 Bucket like so "2013-04" however all it copied was an empty folder to the destination called "-04" It looks like it has stripped everything preceding the "-" and did not copy the folder contents. Is this another potential bug?

Cheers

Greg
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

1. For the "Drive Not Ready" error when sync with a network drive, you can resolve this problem by setting the login account in the "Browse Folder" dialog box of the folder.
2. For problem that Amazon S3 sync truncates the folder "2013-04" to "-04", because Amazon S3 does not allow "-" in bucket name (name of file or folder can contain "-"), please rename the bucket to "2013_04" to see if the problem can be avoided.
Pelly1982

Post by Pelly1982 »

1. I have tried this but unfortunately I still get the "Drive Not Ready" issue. When setting up the folder to sync with the 'Browse' dialog lets be browse the folders and everything so it appears that the credentials are working but just no joy on the actual copy? Any other ideas?

2. As far as I am aware Amazon supports "-" and "_" in its Bucket, Folder and File Names. I can't find any other literature to the contrary. As you can see from the screen shot attached, I have tried both options in S3 and it lets me create them without issue. It is only when I am browsing the folders in Best Sync that it appears to truncate the folder names before the "-" character. I have used other S3 copying tools and they have never had an issue with the "-" character. I am hoping you can address this one in Best Sync.

Thanks
Attachments
best_sync.jpg
best_sync.jpg (67.92 KiB) Viewed 9815 times
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Does the name of the S3 bucket contain capital characters? If it does, please download the new version 8.0.5.6 to see if the problem is fixed.
If BestSync still can not sync with the bucket, may be you need to rename the bucket to all lower-case characters.
If "Drive Not Ready" error remains, please setup the login account in the folder browser dialog box. If the shell has logged in the network drive, BestSync user interface can access it without problem. But when the shell has not logged in the network drive, the synchronization will fail with "Drive Not Ready". If you have set the account, BestSync uses the account to login the network folder automatically.
Pelly1982

Post by Pelly1982 »

Our S3 bucket did not have any uppercase characters in it, so that was not the issue. However I think I have discovered what the bug is with BestSync. It appears that BestSync cannot properly list/display sub folders in S3 if the parent folder has spaces in it. I have attached a screen shot of the BestSync Browse Dialogue that shows a comparison. I created a duplicate of our parent folder 'monthly financial reports' in the same bucket but this time replaced the spaces with under scores. You can see that underneath the folder with the under scores the full folder names are visible and you can even expand those to see their sub folders. However on the folder that uses spaces, all of its children folders have a number of characters truncated and it wont allow you to expand them to see whats in there. Could this issue be addressed? From what I have read, AWS fully supports spaces, full stops, hyphens and under scores as well as a combination of upper case and lower case characters.

Also, unfortunately no matter what I do I cannot get BestSync to read or write to network folders. I tried both of these methods and I get the "Drive Not Ready" error every time.

Method 1 - In the browse dialogue I selected "File Folder" and then navigated to a mapped network drive that had already been mapped with the appropriate permissions. The brows dialogue lets me navigate there with no problems.
Method 2 - Selected "Network Shares" and navigated to the specific folder i wanted in the same share that the network drive was mapped to and under "login the shared folder automatically" specified the same credentials that the mapped network drive was set with.

This network share is sitting on a Linux based NAS box for which is mapped on the windows server that I have installed BestSync on. If I cannot get this to work I wont be able to use BestSync for my purposes unfortunately.
Attachments
best_sync_2.jpg
best_sync_2.jpg (72.82 KiB) Viewed 9807 times
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

BestSync version 8.0.5.7 has fixed a bug related to this problem.
Please download and try the new version to see if the problem has been resolved.