Home Dropbox clone questions

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
dp-sync

Home Dropbox clone questions

Post by dp-sync »

Hi,

I am planning a dropbox like setup on my home network and like the look of bestsync to do the real-time synchronising.

I have a few questions I hope you could answer, as I wasn't able to find the info on your site.

1. I will be synchronising the folders of three pc's and a network storage drive, where I can use FTP by plugging a USB hard drive into the router, or use an old spare server with the same drive and install another, more suitable protocol (http/webdav/etc.). From your site, it says that real-time file sync may not be compatible with FTP - does that mean my first choice of the router+USB is not possible, and if so, what protocol would you recommend for this setup if I prepare a server to do the job?

2. Is there any mechanism, where, if the same file is updated on two machines, bestsync recognises this and creates a "conflict" copy, like dropbox?

3. The real-time sync is only available on the business license, but I will be using it for personal use. In this case, can I purchase one business license and use it on my three PC's?

Thanks for your help,
DP
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Home Dropbox clone questions

Post by RiseFly »

Hello,

Here are the answers of your questions:
1. I will be synchronising the folders of three pc's and a network storage drive, where I can use FTP by plugging a USB hard drive into the router, or use an old spare server with the same drive and install another, more suitable protocol (http/webdav/etc.). From your site, it says that real-time file sync may not be compatible with FTP - does that mean my first choice of the router+USB is not possible, and if so, what protocol would you recommend for this setup if I prepare a server to do the job?
>The real-time sync is supported only by the local folder or the windows shared folder. if you attach the USB drive on the windows server and share it, you can use the real-time sync feature.
If you setup a task on the file system (FTP, webdav etc) that do not support real-times sync, BestSync will just sync the folders in about 5 minutes.

2. Is there any mechanism, where, if the same file is updated on two machines, bestsync recognises this and creates a "conflict" copy, like dropbox?
>BestSync does not create a "conflict" copy in the target folder, instead BestSync backup the overwritten files to the "backup folder", and you can setup to create the sub-folder in backup folder by date&time string.

3. The real-time sync is only available on the business license, but I will be using it for personal use. In this case, can I purchase one business license and use it on my three PC's?
>If you care the personal user, even you order the "Business" or "Ultimate" license, you can use the first license on 3 PCs.

best regards
dp-sync

Re: Home Dropbox clone questions

Post by dp-sync »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am running a test sync now and look forward to using your good software, all going well.

DP