Email "Test" works; but logs not sent

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
ScotProf

Re: Email "Test" works; but logs not sent

Post by ScotProf »

RiseFly wrote:
> "winsock:Receive::Error.:error:(0x00002746):An existing connection was
> forcibly closed by the remote host." means some software blocked
> BestSync from sending email. Please stop the firewall and anti-spam
> software for a while When you test the sync-task to see if the email can be
> sent.
Did you read my post? I already did this and it made no difference. And as Jeff and I both have pointed out, the test emails go out fine.
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

I do not know why the test mail is sent OK, but the task sent the mail failed.
But from the log, I can say it is related to the network/firewall/anti-virus software setting of your PC environment.
----------------------
APP:2013/01/04-17:20:08,Email (R-Disk)--Waiting for welcome message timeout.
APP:2013/01/04-17:20:08,Email (R-Disk)--EHLO SalisburyW7
APP:2013/01/04-17:20:08,Email (R-Disk)--winsock:Receive::Error.:error:(0x00002746):An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
----------------------
mcjathan

Post by mcjathan »

Jean-Pierre,

To help us debug this, would you be willing to modify BestSync to add more detail to that log file? I've noticed that the log from the BestSync Email Test contains much more information than BestSync's main / general log.

I'm at a loss on solving this. I've turned off my firewall, I've watch BestSync connect through my firewall, but the emails generated by BestSync's tasks always fail while the BestSync email test always works. So strange...

Please, modify BestSync to add more email related information to BestSync's main / general log.

Regards,

Jeff
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Hello,

BestSync version 8.0.14 has added a registry value to switch on the detailed email log.
---------------------------
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RiseFly\BestSync 2013
LogEmailDetail=1 (DWORD)
---------------------------
If you set LogEmailDetail to 1, and restart BestSync, it will log all the detailed data as the test dialog box when send email from the task.

Best Regards.
mcjathan

Post by mcjathan »

Thanks for setting up that new feature, Jean-Pierre.

This has been a very stubborn problem. After a some work, it appears to me that it is not a firewall issue, but it is an SSL / TLS problem. Here's what I've done to debug this problem:

1) In BestSync's settings (Options | Email), if I have SSL ENABLED, then BestSync's test email works but BestSync Task's log email time's out and fails.

2) In BestSync's settings (Options | Email), if I have SSL DISABLED then BOTH BestSync's test email and BestSync Task's log email work perfectly.

3) If completely disable both my firewall and anti-virus systems, the outcome in steps 1 and 2 above DO NOT CHANGE -- BestSync's tasks fail to send emails.

4) I contacted my ISP who provides my SMTP server and asked them to watch their logs in real-time while I generated a BestSync email failure. Here's what they saw:
• BestSync IS in fact connecting to their server.
• However, the connection is timing out with an error.
• Here are the two actual SMTP log entries (with my actual IP address replaced that show the connection and the failure):
in02.mta.xmission.com: exim[669]: 2013-01-10 16:17:47 SMTP connection from [Jeff's IP address] (TCP/IP connection count = 36)
in02.mta.xmission.com: exim[20941]: 2013-01-10 16:18:47 TLS error on connection from [Jeff's IP address] (gnutls_handshake): An unexpected TLS packet was received.

My ISP indicates that their SMTP server will accept either the SSL protocol or the TLS protocol. It does seem odd that BestSync only shows that the SSL protocol as an option, but the SMTP thinks that BestSync is using TLS.

It really appears to me that BestSync has a bug where the BestSync task is supposed to send out an email. Specifically, the bug appears to be associated with an email sent in SSL mode.

Jean-Pierre, what do you think of this additional information?
mcjathan

Post by mcjathan »

Jean-Pierre,

Please give consideration to my previous post. I believe I've found evidence that my firewall is not the problem. I believe the evidence points to a problem with BestSync's SMTP / SSL in the BestSync tasks.

Best regards,

Jeff
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Hello,

Thank you for the information, please give us time to investigate the problem.
mcjathan

Post by mcjathan »

RiseFly wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for the information, please give us time to investigate the
> problem.

Thank you for considering my new information. I didn't mean to sound impatient -- I just wanted to know if you were investigating.

Best regards,

Jeff
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

We have fixed a bug relate to this problem, please download and try version 8.0.16.
mcjathan

Post by mcjathan »

RiseFly wrote:
> We have fixed a bug relate to this problem, please download and try version
> 8.0.16.

Jean-Pierre,

This problem is now fixed for me. Thank you!

Best regards,

Jeff