truecrypt file

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
nick76

truecrypt file

Post by nick76 »

Hello all,
I'm new with this software and maybe I ask you a stupid question:
I've some file created with truecrypt. For the people who doesn't know truecrypt, truecrypt is a software who creates an encrypted file to be mounted as a drive. In this virtual drive you can store files securely...
after I dismounted a file (in which I've modified some files), best sync doesn't recognize that such file has been modified and it doesn't copy to the destination folder.

there's a way to solve this problem?

thank you very much

Nick
mcjathan

Re: truecrypt file

Post by mcjathan »

Hi Nick,

I'm also a TrueCrypt and BestSync user. I've had the same problem that you describe. The problem here is with TrueCrypt and not BestSync. TrueCrypt defaults to preserving the TrueCrypt file/container date-time-stamp. Even when you modify files within the TrueCypt file/container, the actual file/container's time-stamp will not be modified UNLESS you over-ride TrueCrypt's default.

I believe you can over-ride TrueCrypt's default through the options menu. However, I usually over-ride it at the command line:

"C:\Program Files\TrueCrypt\TrueCrypt.exe" /m ts /v d:\myvolume

The option "/m ts" is a mount option. The ts is for time-stamp.

Does this work for you?

Jeff
nick76

Post by nick76 »

Hello mcjathan,
thank you very much for your answer. I imagined that the problem was on TrueCrypt side and I investigated a little... I've modified in the truecrypt's settings the to keep the timestamp of the file and now, every time I mount the file the timestamp will be modified. the problem is that bestsync wont detect any modification and bypass the file. :cry:

in your case bestsync will detect the modification of the file?
thank you very much and Marry Christmas.

Nick
mcjathan

Post by mcjathan »

Hi Nick,

Yes, BestSync does detect the modified TrueCrypt file for me and does sync it for me. You must make certain that TrueCrypt DOES allow the time-stamp of the TrueCrypt container to be changed. Try these steps:

1) Mount your TrueCrypt container
2) Modify a file within your container and then save the file.
3) Dismount the TrueCrypt container.
4) Exit TrueCrypt.
5) Examine the time-stamp of the TrueCrypt container -- is actually updated? If not, there is no way that BestSync will know to sync the file. If it is not being updated, your settings in TrueCrypt must be wrong.

Regards, Jeff