BestSync Isn't Detecting Entire Folder Tree.

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
mcjathan

BestSync Isn't Detecting Entire Folder Tree.

Post by mcjathan »

Suddenly this morning, BestSync Isn't detecting the entire folder tree during a first, initial sync.

Before beginning my tests this morning, I downloaded the latest version of BestSync (v7.3.14), uninstalled the old version, and installed the newest version.

I setup a test folder on my C-drive for the purpose of troubleshooting the problem discussed in this thread:
http://www.risefly.com/forrum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=778 (BestSync Crashes When "Encrypt the file name" Is Set)

FYI, the test folder I created has this local path:
C:\Jefe\

Also FYI, I've attached a zipped file of this entire test folder structure. There are 16 files in this folder structure and several folder levels.

When I setup a new BestSync task to sync this local folder to an FTP folder, BestSync only sees and detects 6 out of the 16 files in this folder structure. BestSync completely misses the other 10 files. For some additional details compare the BestSync log file that I've attached to the attached "Jefe" folder structure.

I've rerun this test many times this morning after reinstalling BestSync, rebooting my workstation, installing older versions of BestSync, etc. I keep running into this problem -- BestSync won't detect all the files in the folder structure. After days of running tests, I'm not aware of encountering this problem before. I also ran this test on a completely different workstation and got the same results.

Jean-Pierre, can you duplicate this problem?

Regards, Jeff

P.S. May I suggest that the current BestSync version number always be written out to your log files?
Attachments
Jefe.zip
A local test folder. Zipped to contain the entire subfolder structure.
(113.95 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
20120913-142952.zip
BestSync log file showing only 6 files were detected by BestSync.
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: BestSync Isn't Detecting Entire Folder Tree.

Post by RiseFly »

I have tested this issue by the files that you posted here.
But the result is OK, all the 16 files and 4 folders are synchronized.
Could you please confirm if you have used any time filtering option or file type filtering option?
mcjathan

Post by mcjathan »

I confirmed that the file filter for my BestSync task is set to *.* and that all other controls on the Filter tab are cleared (no time filtering options).

I have reproduced this problem on 3 separate workstations (2 XP and 1 W7).

When you attempted to reproduce this problem, did you use "Jefe" for Folder 1 and an FTP server for Folder 2?
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Thank you for finding this bug.
This problem happens in multiple-threads scan mode, and has been fixed in version 7.3.15.
Please download the new version and try it.
mcjathan

Post by mcjathan »

Is multiple-threads scan mode the same as the BestSync task configuration "Process multiple files simultaneously" found on the "Copy Options" tab? If so, then I have verified that your fix works properly on the test case I provided above.

However, for a more extensive folder I am still seeing a problem that may be related.

FYI, the testcase below was run with BestSync v7.3.17.

The problem appears to be that BestSync occasionally and intermittently does not recognize that some files and folders already exist in Folder #2. FYI, in my test cases, I have disabled the BestSync feature “Process multiple files simultaneously”.

Here are more details of a test-case that is completely different from the case I provided at the top of this thread.

The setup / configuration:
• My overall objective is to sync a folder on Workstation #1 with a folder on Workstation #2 where Workstation #2 is outside our office.

• Workstation 1: BestSync Folder #1 (local) syncs to Folder #2 (local).

• Workstation 2: BestSync Folder #1 (local) syncs to Folder #2 (FTP).

• The Folders #1 on Workstation #1 and Workstation #2 are already substantially similar from synchronizations done in the past with unrelated synchronization software.

• Folder #2 (on both workstations) is the same physical folder.

• The BestSync tasks on both workstations are configured to NOT “Process multiple files simulateously”.

Here is the sequence of events:
1) Ran the first initial sync on Workstation #1. Everything seemed to work fine – BestSync did not report any problems.

2) Ran the first initial “Preview Task” on Workstation #2. BestSync did not report any problems. However, when I examined the preview screen, I noticed some problems.

3) The problem is that BestSync on Workstation #2 is not “seeing” some of the files that already exist in Folder #2 and BestSync (on Workstation #2) wants to copy files to Folder #2 that actually already exist on Folder #2.

4) Independent of BestSync, I have verified that these files DO exist in Folder #2 and that they all have the identical time-stamp and size to the files in Folder #1.

5) Furthermore, if I rerun BestSync on Workstation #2, the files that BestSync doesn’t see in Folder #2 change. These missed files are different for each time I run the “Preview Task” function (see screen captures below for more details).

6) FYI, each time I ran the “Preview Task”, I chose to dismiss the preview without actually synchronizing. Therefore, I’ve not completed a sync yet with this particular folder.

7) Although I haven’t tried this yet, I suspect that if I did actually execute the synchronize back and forth a few times between Workstation #1 and Workstation #2, BestSync would eventually create an accurate synchronization after 2 or 3 syncs back and forth.

8) FYI, in my particular case, this is a very large folder that I want to sync (106,112 Files, 7,754 folder, and 32.9 GB). Each time I run the BestSync Preview, BestSync is missing 2-4 folders and perhaps up to a couple of dozen files in those folders.

9) Please see the screen captures of BestSync (see attached PDF file) for more information.
Attachments
BestSync Still Failing to Detect Some Subfolders and Files in Folder 2.pdf
Screen Captures and More Details
(183.04 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Thank you for report the problem.
The cause of the problem may be because BestSync has not parsed the response of MLSD command from the server correctly. If the server can be accessed from internet, and if you can give me a test account, we would like to debug this problem. Please send test account or exported the task setting to "risefly(a)risefly.com".
mcjathan

Post by mcjathan »

The FTP server can be made available to you on the internet.

However, before I give you access let me tell you that the FTP server is FileZilla Server installed on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit machine. Would you expect that BestSync would be properly parsing the MLSD command from this FileZilla Server?

If you still want a test account, please send me a private message with your IP address and I'll create a test account for you and open up access to my FTP server for your IP address.

Regards, Jeff
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Hello,

We have tested this issue on FileZilla server by a tool that can create/delete files randomly, but can not recreate the symptom.
If it is possible, please give me a test account (email to risefly(a)risefly.com).

Best Regards
Jean-Pierre
mcjathan

Post by mcjathan »

Jean-Pierre,

I sent you and email with the FTP test account information.

Please reply to the email and provide me with your IP address or IP address range.

Jeff