BestSync Crashes When "Encrypt the file name" Is Set

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
mcjathan

BestSync Crashes When "Encrypt the file name" Is Set

Post by mcjathan »

Greetings,

The notes for Ver7.3.12 indicate that there was a bug relating to encryption and file length. I'm wondering if this bug is not quite fixed yet. Particularly, BestSync is crashing when I choose the "Encrypt the file name" option. I'm guessing that it doesn't crash all the time with this option, but perhaps it crashes with certain long file names.

BestSync is crashing and causing an Windows error message. When I start a sync process, I can see the task progress. Suddenly, BestSync crashes with a typical Windows message that you see when an application crashes. At the bottom of this posting, I've copied and pasted the info from the Windows 7 Pro log. BestSync is also crashing when I run this task on my other computer (a Windows XP Pro workstation). FYI, both the Windows 7 and Windows XP workstations are attempting to sync the same folder via a central FTP folder.

If I turn off the setting "Encrypt the file name" and run the same task, BestSync runs to completion without error on both workstations.

By the way, I am experiencing this crash while running a sync task on the long file names I reported in another thread (http://www.risefly.com/forrum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=774). In that thread, I uploaded a text file with these long file names. Here is that uploaded file for your reference: http://www.risefly.com/forrum/download/file.php?id=55

Are you able to reproduce this problem Jean-Pierre?

Regards,

Jeff
================================================================================
WINDOWS LOG:
Faulting application name: BestSyncApp.exe, version: 7.3.1.3, time stamp: 0x504c77a9
Faulting module name: BestSyncApp.exe, version: 7.3.1.3, time stamp: 0x504c77a9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0010d803
Faulting process id: 0x794
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd8edf039260a0
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\RiseFly\BestSync\BestSyncApp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\RiseFly\BestSync\BestSyncApp.exe
Report Id: c776f73d-fad2-11e1-b965-6c626d386d44
mcjathan

Re: BestSync Crashes When "Encrypt the file name" Is Set

Post by mcjathan »

[attachment=0]BestSync_Preview_Window.pdf[/attachment]I have some additional information. I ran another test on another folder where the sync process is not crashing BestSync, but there are some anomalous results. Again, this sync task is configured to encrypt the file names.

In one of the folders, I have a file with this path/file name:
Q:\bin\NotePad++\ansi\user.manual\documentation\notepad-user-manual\switching-between-documents\mru-most-recently-used-switching.html

The file size is 16 KB.

I have confirmed the file path/name on both workstations. I have also confirmed that the time-stamp and file-size are identical on both workstations.

However, when I run a sync preview, it is clear that BestSync is erroneously calculating the filename and file-size. Please see the attachment for the details.
Attachments
BestSync_Preview_Window.pdf
BestSync preview window showing errors.
(51.74 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

I have tested this problem, but can not recreate the problem
But we have find another bug which failed to decrypted file names that are longer than 260 characters. Please download the new version to see if the problem has also been fixed.
mcjathan

Post by mcjathan »

I did some additional testing. I turned off the file name encryption and noticed that my 15 to 20 files with long path/file names (greater than 233 and less than 260) were causing FTP errors. These files were not being copied from the local folder to the FTP folder. The FileZilla FTP server logs showed a file creation error.

What I discovered is that my FileZilla server folder name was relatively long (about 25-30 characters) and when this additional length was added to the path/file name of these already long files, the FileZilla server was unable to create the path/file names that on the FTP server were now longer than 260 characters.

Therefore, I suspect that it is these errors on the FTP server is causing BestSync to crash. When BestSync file name encryption is turned on, BestSync crashes as I described. Curiously, BestSync does not crash when file name encryption is turned off.

Hope that helps.
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Version 7.3.16 has fixed a bug that may cause crash, please download an try it to see if the problem has been fixed.