Pre-Sales Question, Syncing Folders on 2 Different Computers

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
mcjathan

Pre-Sales Question, Syncing Folders on 2 Different Computers

Post by mcjathan »

I'm evaluating BestSync with the intention to purchase it. It seems to be great. I have a few questions that I want to ask to make sure I'm understanding BestSync's capabilities:

1) I have two computers in two different physical locations. I want to sync folders between these two computers. Is this how I would do it with BestSync?

Computer1 <-2-way sync-> FTP folder <-2-way sync-> Computer2

Would I setup BestSync on Computer1 and setup a 2-way sync with the central FTP folder? Then, would I setup BestSync on Computer2 and setup a 2-way sync with the SAME central FTP folder?

Is that right? Am I understanding how to use BestSync to sync a folder between two computers that are in different locations?

2) Assuming I have this right (in item #1 above), can I modify the above procedure to have the files on the central FTP server compressed and encrypted? In my tests so far using the evaluation version, I can't seem to get the compression / encryption on the FTP server to work. Is that because I'm using the evaluation version?

Regards, Jeff
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Pre-Sales Question, Syncing Folders on 2 Different Compu

Post by RiseFly »

1) I have two computers in two different physical locations. I want to sync folders between these two computers. Is this how I would do it with BestSync?

Computer1 <-2-way sync-> FTP folder <-2-way sync-> Computer2

Would I setup BestSync on Computer1 and setup a 2-way sync with the central FTP folder? Then, would I setup BestSync on Computer2 and setup a 2-way sync with the SAME central FTP folder?
>Yes. here is the tutorial doc for how to synchronize with FTP server.

Is that right? Am I understanding how to use BestSync to sync a folder between two computers that are in different locations?

>What you think is right.
To synchronize folder with FTP server efficiently, you'd better select the FTP server that supports MLSD command to list files with accurate timestamp, and
one of MDTM, MFMT, UTIME command to preserve the timestamp of the uploaded files. FileZilla FTP server is recommended.

2) Assuming I have this right (in item #1 above), can I modify the above procedure to have the files on the central FTP server compressed and encrypted? In my tests so far using the evaluation version, I can't seem to get the compression / encryption on the FTP server to work. Is that because I'm using the evaluation version?
>For compress&encrypt file in FTP side, just select the following option:
[attachment=0]EncryptFile.png[/attachment]
You can also encrypt the file name. I use this option almost every day to synchronize files by FTP among computers.
Attachments
Encrypt File
Encrypt File
EncryptFile.png (69.59 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
mcjathan

Post by mcjathan »

Hi Risefly,

Thanks for the answer!

I have a quick followup question: You mention that Filezilla FTP server is recommended. I'm curious, I'm using a Windows 7 Pro machine as my FTP server. Will the native IIS FTP server work as well as Filezilla? Or, do you still recommend Filezilla over the native IIS FTP server?

Regards, Jeff
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

The IIS FTP server does not support MLSD command and MDTM, MFMT, UTIME command, it is not an ideal FTP server for synchronization.
Through BestSync can synchronize with IIS FTP server by managing the time-stamp of uploaded files, but it is not suitable for multiple clients to synchronize with it.