Mirror Setup Using Synology Server

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
BradBrewer

Mirror Setup Using Synology Server

Post by BradBrewer »

I'm trying to setup a system such that my main desktop synchronizes all of the User Folders (Documents, Pictures, etc) to my Synology server and then I've changed my laptop to redirect the user folders to the network drive on the Synology server. That basically gives me the same User files on both systems.

Worked reasonably well by setting up a task for each folder on my main Desktop and scheduling each task to run every 15 minutes. I thought things might be better if I ran as a Windows Service instead and synchronized on changes so I upgraded to the Business level BestSync. I had things all set up and it seemed to be running but only a couple of the tasks with run .... the others seem to be stuck. I'm guessing my server won't allow the same person to log in that many times (for the monitor function) on the same IP or some limitation of that sort. Besides that issue it seemed to doing a synchronization about every 3 minutes and not when a file changed on one side or the other.

I'm not really sure if running as a Windows Service has really helped me in any way at all. Can someone more experienced tell me what they believe would be the best way to handle what I'm trying to accomplish? What does running as a Windows Service do for me?

Running the way I was actually worked Okay, but I was always concerned I would save a file on my desktop and then shutdown without that file being synchronized to the backup server and then I wouldn't have access from my laptop or access from the outside world.

Thanks for any advise you might forward my way.

Brad
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Mirror Setup Using Synology Server

Post by RiseFly »

Hello,

If you setup the task to sync with a network folder and run as the Windows Service, you need to setup a login account for the local PC for get the privilege to access the network, and setup a login account of the network folder. Here is the tutorial:
http://www.risefly.com/SyncNetDrive_howto.htm
For synchronizing with a network folder using the real-time mode, the network folder should be a shared folder of Windows OS or Windows Server; otherwise the neetwork folder may not notify the change, tha task will just be ran in about 15 minutes.

Running a task as Windows Service has a merit that you need not to login the PC. If you need to run the task even when you are not login the PC, then you need to setup the task to run as Windows Service, otherwise run the task in the BestSync Application is enough.

Best Regards