Why is there a 15 MB File "Partitions.fsn"

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
alan9876

Why is there a 15 MB File "Partitions.fsn"

Post by alan9876 »

64 Bit BestSync 6.1.1.0 Portable

Five recent files created in the BestSync folder during use have been named "Partitions.*",
with extensions fsf,fsf~,fsl,fsn, and fss.

Four range from 215 through to 25,088 bytes,
but one is 14,942,208 bytes.

I have been previewing the differences between various partitions,
including Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit system partition C:\,
so I am not surprised if working files hold 15 MB,
but why do they remain the following day ?

Did I do something wrong when I closed BestSync after previewing without a Synchronise action ?

Will I obtain any future benefit by retaining these files ?

Regards
Alan
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Why is there a 15 MB File "Partitions.fsn"

Post by RiseFly »

".fsn" file is the scanned recording of the last synchronization. BestSync uses this file to detect file deleting, and if FTP server does not support Set-File-TimeStamp, BestSync uses this file to detect if files are changed. So please retain this file.
alan9876

Post by alan9876 »

Thanks, that explains why I have it and why it is so large.

My principle use of BestSync is not to synchronise but simply compare C:\ with P:\,
where C:\ is the System partition,
and P:\ is a virtual partition created by Macrium Reflect mounting its last image of a known Good C:\,
and only when I have removed any unwanted changes of Bing/Yahoo/etc./Malware incursions do I declare C:\ to be Good,
and then create the next daily image of a Good C:\.

C:\ is constantly morphing as Windows 7 tweaks itself,
and P:\ is always "yesterday's C:\",
so I think the old Partitions.fsn file will not help me, and any effect would do me harm.
Please advise it I have got this wrong.

NB I have also on one occasion restored C:\ as it was a few weeks before I started downloading all the Comparator/Synchronisers I could find,
and before Windows decided that a Microsoft branded WebCam needed 1 GB of video drivers and Windows Live Messengers etc. and the inevitable BING.
I mounted the very latest image as P:\ and compared with the ancient pre-junk state of C:\
and then previewed the partitions and selected and synchronised from P:\ to C:\ only 3 folders with the latest documents.
That was very convenient, better than my wildest hopes.

Regards
Alan
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

hi,Allen,
Even through you use BestSync just for comparing two folders. the .fsn file is still useful for detecting file deleting. comparing with the file deleting detection function, I think 15mb is worthwhile.
alan9876

Post by alan9876 »

Thanks

O.K. Best to keep the file.

Even with this 15 MB "overhead" it still takes much less disc space than some of the other synchronisers.

Regards
Alan