Recommended Feature - use MD5 has to identify identical file

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
rastamanx

Recommended Feature - use MD5 has to identify identical file

Post by rastamanx »

I would like to recommend a feature which would be of great benefit to users of Bestsync.
Under the RENAME tab of the setup synchronization of a given task, there is a check box at the bottom which says "if a different file with the same name exists in the target folder, add a serial number to the file name". Rather than using only the file name for this feature (e.g., to identify already existing identical files in the target folder), it would be much more useful to use a hash value of each file to determine whether the files are identical.

For example, I use BestSync to sync files from my camera's memory card to a folder on my computer. However it can often happen that the camera uses the same file name for different image files taken on different dates. Since I don't want to take a chance on overwriting any of my existing image files with new and different image files (which happen to have the same file name), I check the "add a serial number" box, which results in multiple duplicate copies of the file being saved to my computer folder.
What would be preferably would be to be offered the following checkbox option:
"if a different file with the same name and content (as determined by MD5 has value) is in the target folder, add a serial number to the file name"
This way i can be sure that I am only copying non-duplicate files from my camera card to my computer hard drive.
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Recommended Feature - use MD5 has to identify identical

Post by RiseFly »

You can add a renaming rule as the following:
Old name: *1.*2;
New name "<date>-<time>-*1.*2

The above rule can add the date and time string to the picture file name, like the following:
Old name: PIC0001.jpg
New name: 20121108-010203-PIC0001.jpg

This way, you can avoid the problem.