Problem Excluding File Types

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
mcjathan

Problem Excluding File Types

Post by mcjathan »

Jean-Pierre,

I want to exclude files with a certain extension in a subfolder and in all subfolder below. Let me explain further:

1) In folder 1 of a BestSync task I have a subfolder that looks like this:

Vendors\Fred\

2) In the subfolder Fred, I want to exclude all file types with the "abc" extension.

3) In my BestSync task configuration, I go to the "Exclude or include" tab and I create an entry that is unchecked and looks like this:

Vendors\Fred\*.abc

4) When I run this BestSync task, the task does NOT exclude the *.abc files in the folder Fred. The task is also not excluding *.abc files in subfolders below Fred.

Am I misunderstanding the capability of the "Exclude or include" tab? Or, do I have the syntax incorrect?

Regards,

Jeff
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Problem Excluding File Types

Post by RiseFly »

For excluding files with specified extensions, please use the "Filter" tab like the attached jpg file.
[attachment=0]Wz_FilterExt.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Filter file by extension
Filter file by extension
Wz_FilterExt.jpg (58.97 KiB) Viewed 5680 times
mcjathan

Post by mcjathan »

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Yes, I am familiar with the Filter tab. However, I was hoping to be able to exclude a file-type only for a subfolder (and it's subfolders) in Folder1/Folder2 instead of excluding the file-type for all of Folder1/Folder2.

The description of the functionality of the Exclude or Include tab, and the input that BestSync allows on the Exclude or Include tab seemed to imply that a user could exclude a file type for a subfolder of Folder1/Folder2 (i.e. Bestsync allowed me to enter this: "Vendors\Fred\*.abc").

If BestSync will accept that input on the Exclude or Include tab, shouldn't it execute it properly?

Regards,

Jeff
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

We have supported wildcard patterns in each include and exclude rules.
Please download and try version 7.3.20.

Setting sample:
Include files in a sub-folder and all its descendants folders that match multiple patterns:
Press [attachment=0]insertex.png[/attachment] to "Add one file for edit"; then input the folder relative path and patterns. Multiple patterns are separated by semi-colon ";".
[x ]SubFolder1\SubFolder2\A*.txt;B*.txt
Attachments
Insert Rule
Insert Rule
insertex.png (419 Bytes) Viewed 5667 times
mcjathan

Post by mcjathan »

Jean-Pierre,

I have created a wildcard exclusion for a subfolder. However, it seems to be excluding the entire subfolder and not just the files that match my wildcard pattern. I followed your instructions to "Add one file for edit", and then separated multiple patterns by a semi-colon. Here's my actual exclude string:

Vendors\BestSync\*.fsn;*.fsl

Below, I show two examples:

EXAMPLE 1 shows the BestSync task "Exclude or include" control BEFORE I add the wildcard pattern, and then Example 1 also shows the resulting Preview window. As you can see from the Preview window, there are many subfolders and files.

EXAMPLE 2 shows the BestSync task "Exclude or include" control AFTER I've added the wildcard pattern. Then, in the Preview window you can see that all files and subfolders were excluded (not just those files that match the wildcard pattern). I expected BestSync to only exclude the files matching the wildcard pattern "Vendors\BestSync\*.fsn;*.fsl". Instead, BestSync seems to exclude this pattern: "Vendors\BestSync\*.*"

Am I misunderstanding how to use this control? Or, is my syntax incorrect?
Attachments
EXAMPLE 1: Include / Exclude Control Before Wildcard Added
EXAMPLE 1: Include / Exclude Control Before Wildcard Added
Example1a.png (17.1 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
EXAMPLE 1: Preview Before Wildcard Added
EXAMPLE 1: Preview Before Wildcard Added
Example1b.png (92.91 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
EXAMPLE 1: Preview Before Wildcard Added (continued)
EXAMPLE 1: Preview Before Wildcard Added (continued)
Example1c.png (86.19 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
EXAMPLE 2: Include / Exclude Control AFTER Wildcard Added
EXAMPLE 2: Include / Exclude Control AFTER Wildcard Added
Example2a.png (18.18 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
EXAMPLE 2: Preview After Wildcard Added.  All files in the subfolder were excluded.  Shouldn't the only files excluded by those that fit this patter?  *.fsn and *.fsl
EXAMPLE 2: Preview After Wildcard Added. All files in the subfolder were excluded. Shouldn't the only files excluded by those that fit this patter? *.fsn and *.fsl
Example2b.png (21.27 KiB) Viewed 5642 times
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Version 7.3.23 has fixed the problem, please try the new version.