Sync finished, but files not copied

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
tschopp

Sync finished, but files not copied

Post by tschopp »

I installed the trial version of the 64 bit version. I have been looking for software that can handle a large number of files and also transfer fast. So far its been very impressive, my old software was getting too slow to be useful as the number of files grew and other software would crash on the large number of files. After a successful sync that appears to have worked correctly. I changed the drives on the local computer running bestsync to make a larger array, I then ran the sync again to copy the files to the now empty array. It copied the files from the other computer that had changed but did not copy the rest of the files. After I changed the way the task was defined (mapped the drive and used a drive letter instead of a network share) it started copying all the files.

So it appears to use a list of what has changed, but not actually check if the files are the same. Can you explain in more detail how the sync is done?
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Sync finished, but files not copied

Post by RiseFly »

BestSync only check the last-modified time and size of the file, it will not check the file content for the performance.
Because to compare the file content is too slow and not effective for synchronization.
What kind of file systems are the task to synchronize? If the file systems support setting the last-modified time after file is copied, this kind of issue will not occur. If the file system does not support setting the last-modified time, please do not copy the files by other software, please use Bestsync at the first, otherwise BestSync may think the files are new and copy them again at the first time.
tschopp

Post by tschopp »

It did not check the last-modified time or the file size because when the drive was replaced the files no longer existed. It did know about the new files on the remote system and only synced those. It did not sync the files that did not change on the remote system and no longer existed on the local drive.

File systems are NTFS, local system is Win 7 SP1 64bit, remote system is server 2008 R2, drive size is 24TB on both systems.
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Please confirm that you have not check the following option:
[attachment=0]ScanSourceOnly.png[/attachment]
If the option is checked, BestSync will not scan the target folder and only uses the last saved record.
When you exchange the drive, this option may cause the issue that you meet.
Attachments
Scan Source Only
Scan Source Only
ScanSourceOnly.png (51.38 KiB) Viewed 5059 times