Encryption Bug or Feature?

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
jw stephenson

Encryption Bug or Feature?

Post by jw stephenson »

I recently switched to encrypting data and thus had to do a complete file re-copy for the mirror directory I have at cloud storage. I expected this since the new files are indeed different than the old ones, particularly if compressed. That took about four days.

I then set up the scheduler to sync the directories and all seemed fine, incremental backups were fairly fast as they should be.

I then a few days later edited the task to exclude a particular directory that had large temporary-type files that were not worth keeping backed up. To my surprise, the entire task had to be re-started, copying all files once again (another four days).

I then did some testing with a small directory of 61 files, 500MB total. Here is what I found out:

1. If encryption is turned OFF, you can change a task and it will continue to do an incremental backup of only the changed/deleted files. If you stop the task in the middle, it will continue from where it left off. If you sync a task, then make a copy and paste the exact task, running the copy produces no files to sync, just as expected. Then, deleting the task copy and re-running the original produces no files to sync. All is good.

2. If encryption is turned ON, any change you make to a task will make that task re-sync as if there are no matching files on the ftp server, or if they are matching, they are considered changed and therefore have to be recopied. If you stop an encrypted task in the middle, it will have to start over from scratch. If you fully sync with encryption, then make a copy and paste the exact task, running the copy requires a full copy of the files up to the server. Deleting the task copy and re-running the original produces no files to sync.

It seems clear that when employing the encryption, any file comparison is not working as it assumes that all files on the ftp server are different and therefore a complete re-copy is required. It feels like the system is actually not doing a comparison but simply looking at a local database similarly to when you check the option to "only scan the source folder".

Bottom line, once you have a task that uses encryption, do not make any changes to that task or you will have to make a complete re-transfer on the next sync. It is as if it deletes the last sync database instead of modifying is for task changes or partial completions. Is this a feature or a bug?

Some clarity on how this all works would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Encryption Bug or Feature?

Post by RiseFly »

We have tested this issue, but can not recreate it.
Please check if you are using the latest version (6.2.20).
jw stephenson

Post by jw stephenson »

I have tested on two separate machines, both Windows, 64-bit, both v6.2.18 which was very recently downloaded. I am also running the portable version. We will try on Monday morning after downloading v6.2.20. Can you confirm how you think it should work?

For instance, if I have an external hard drive with data that I want to send up to a cloud storage site encrypted and compressed, should I be able to take that hard drive to my office (which also has bestsync as well and a much faster upload speed) and send/encrypt/compress this initial files up to the storage site and then afterwords, from home, run a comparison with bestsync on the same hard drive and it should only do an incremental backup? This is how it was working before I decided to add the encryption.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Jeff
jw stephenson

Post by jw stephenson »

Just loaded the .21 version on both home and business computer. Same results.

All my systems are 64-bit so maybe this issue is related to this? Everything works as expected with encryption turned off.

Jeff
jw stephenson

Post by jw stephenson »

Just to correct a prior statement, I am NOT running the portable version. I am running the windows 64-bit ultimate version.

Jeff
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

If the FTP server support one of the commands (MFMT, MDTM, SITE UTIME) to preserve the timestamp of uploaded file, then you can connect the storage to from other PCs from which BestSync can synchronize the storage with the FTP folder correctly.