4 Problems discovered. What do you think about?

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
mercadantelaura

4 Problems discovered. What do you think about?

Post by mercadantelaura »

Hi, I'm looking for a program that do a mirror of multiple directories and files that satify
a user mask using wildcard.
Your program ver. 7.1.0.4 is very interesting and I'm evaluating it comparing with other downloaded programs
as "allwaysync" - "Easy2Sync" - "Synkron" - "ozSync".
Is more interesting and easy BestSync but Testing it I have discovered some limitations and bugs that I hope in future are solved and improved.

----1st Problem----

My Configuration Tested is this=
Method: Folder1= "Source" Folder2= "Destination" -Only Folder 2 are changed-
Delete: Mirror + Detect file moved
Filter: "SubFolders Included"

For exmple If I use wildcard "?" or "*" to copy from Folder1 files as

*.TXT

in order to syncro Folder-1 and its subdirectories that contain files that satisfy filter choice
with Folder-2 "destination" when syncro starts files are copied correctly...
....but if into Folder-2 already there are other files with different extension from filter or other
subdirectory, they are not deleted.
Infact I have proved adding into Folder-2 some files JPG + BMP + Mp3 and they are not deleted
after syncro, are only copied files that satisfy the mask.
I have choosed option MIRROR but Is not a perfect mirror of DIR1 that satisfy filter choice.
If I choose to copy only TXT files the second folder must have only TXT files and all directory that
contain ony TXT files and not other data.

----2nd Problem----

If user run its program and some option of it modifies attrib of files in source folder example
changing files from HIDE Attrib into Visible files, BestSync when Run don't modify attrib of that file
into destination Folder2 (MIRROR of Folder1) if the file already exist.
If in folder2 file don't exist in this case file is copied with exact attrib flag

----3rd Problem----

If user choose:
In General Option -> View -> "Task Overview= OFF" and "Task Description=ON"
BestSync takes always on screen 3 rows, used from field Status that show 3 parametres:
(Last Time - Success/Failed - Next Time)
In this mode are showed on screen page less Tasks because every Task uses 3 rows and not one row for task as
preview option do.
Is in my opinion a great idea permit user to choose also how option of "Status" he wants on screen
(for example all, nothing, or only "Success/Failed" etc...)
and show them NOT on 1..3 rows but into 1..3 columns, becaue Title of "Task description" have already lots length disponible
and is not a problem if it is less large that now.
In this case if there are lots tasks, they are all showed on the same screen page because everyone uses only one row.

---4th Problem----
When I choose to close BestSync clicking "x", program go to Tray Icon Area and not exit.
I must go to tray Icon and right Click and press again Exit... is labourious.
If I press "x" I want that program exit as all programs that I have and I'm using do.
There is no option that permit user to choose if he wants or not wants Tray Icon Area before exit.

There is some possibility to improve program adding this??
I will wait your answer.

Best Regards
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: 4 Problems discovered. What do you think about?

Post by RiseFly »

Thank you for evaluating BestSync, here is the comments of the problems:

----1st Problem----
The file type filtering string include/excludes the files. If you include only *.txt, then all the other file types such as JPG, BMP,MP3 are EXCLUDED from synchronization, even you use mirroring option, JPG, BMP,MP3 will not be deleted of copied, because they are EXCLUDED.
If you want to sync ONLY *.txt and delete all the other file types in the target, you can setup two tasks like following:
Task1: "General" Page: Folder1(The source folder)-->Folder2 (An intermediate folder, will contain only *.txt files)
"Filter" Page: *.txt , UNCHECK "Exclude the designated types above".
"Delete" Page: CHECK "Mirror: Delete file in the target folder if ti is not in the source folder".
""Application" Page: "Application or Sync-Task to run after synchronization"
Run the following Task2 after sync.

Task2: "General" Page: Folder1(An intermediate folder, "Folder2" of Task1 contains only *.txt files)
-->Folder2 (The target folder will contain only *.txt files)
"Filter" Page: ALL the files|*.*
"Delete" Page: CHECK "Mirror: Delete file in the target folder if ti is not in the source folder".

----2nd Problem----
BestSync only copies the attributes (Read-only or hidden) of a file when the file is copied.
We may add new options to copy file attributes and NTFS security properties into new version.

----3rd Problem----
Showing ONE task in 3 rows is the characteristic feature of BestSync, you can know most important information of a task without scroll the screen (like other software).
If you think one screen can not contain all the tasks, you can create group tab. And categorize the tasks into groups.

---4th Problem----
BestSync changes the "Close" button to "Minimize to Task tray". This action want to decrease the misoperation that scheduled tasks will not run if BestSync is closed.
If you want to exit BestSync, you can click "File"/"Exit BestSync" menu.
We'll try to improve this action in the future version.

Thank you for the evaluation and good suggestions.
mercadantelaura

=====================================================================================================
<<Showing ONE task in 3 rows is the characteristic feature of BestSync, you can know most important information of a task <<without scroll the screen (like other software).
<<If you think one screen can not contain all the tasks, you can create group tab. And categorize the tasks into groups.
=====================================================================================================

Thanks for the answers.
You have reason on this point.
I have already proved to use different groups, but each group contains lots rows of similar context files.
I can't mix files, I have already separated files into groups.
Unfortunately each groups have lots syncronizations and if there is possibility in future a choice to exclude informations status in order to obtain less rows utilized from each task is better for me.
Now you permit to choice how set ON :
"Task Overview= ON/OFF" and "Task Description=ON/OFF"

if there is possibility for me to obtain this (set on or off) also for three fields of STATUS is a great function that permit me
to have more rows disponible in one shot screen

In addiction:

----You are wrote:----
If you want to sync ONLY *.txt and delete all the other file types in the target, you can setup two tasks like following:

Task1: "General" Page: Folder1(The source folder)-->Folder2 (An intermediate folder, will contain only *.txt files)

Task2: "General" Page: Folder1(An intermediate folder, "Folder2" of Task1 contains only *.txt files)

I have proved but don't run.
I'm wronging something or I have bad explained to you what I will want to do
In folder-1, (that is untouchable and I must never modify it), there are any kind of files and
I want that folder-2 contain only *.TXT and if there are in folder-2 previously different kind of files

generated from other my programs they must be deleted, as my batch do.
I have create it to syncro immediately the 2 folders.

==SYNCRO.BAT==

@echo off
RD folder-2 /s/q ====> [delete folder2]
xcopy folder-1\*.TXT folder-2 /i/h/k/s/y

/i --> if folder-2 doesn't exist create directory folder-2
/h --> copy from folder-1 also files with attrib flag set to "SYSTEM" and "HIDDEN"
/k --> maintain attrib flag set to "READ ONLY" if orginal files are setted to "READ ONLY"
/s --> copy all subdirectories if they contains *.TXT [blank folder aren't copied]
/y --> Not Prompt confirmation to overtwrite if files already exist

Thanks again
Best Regards
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Task1: "General" Page: Folder1(The source folder)-->Folder2 (Called TEMP12, An intermediate folder, will contain only *.txt files)

Task2: "General" Page: Folder1(TEMP12, contains only *.txt files)
Should work. Please note that TEMP12 must be a new folder.
mercadantelaura

Thank you very much for answer, but It is curious that user must create 2 tasks for a simple command.
It's too...labourious.
Searching on web I found a portable program of only one file EXE of 500 KB named OzSync that must do all that I want.
I hope for fisrst instance. :-/
More tasks, only one rows for task, copy only files *.TXT *.BMP or ??T.BMP etc... that user wants using wildcard from source to target using only one task and without temp folder, exit immediately on "x", and if I want more groups of different tasks I can copy the only 1 file EXE into other or more folders and create in this mode lots gropus of tasks.
The program that I found is an old program but it run also under Win7 x64.

The site is:
http://nebula1979.fortunecity.it/

I have proved it only for little time but for now will appear that sastisfy what i'm looking for.

Thanks again for the help and patience demonstrate.
You are very gentile and disponible.
Sorry for disturb

Best Regards