Real time logging while syncing as Service

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
brainumbc

Real time logging while syncing as Service

Post by brainumbc »

I just bought the Ultimate version and it works well so far. I've tried syncing as just an app which is nice because you can preview the task and watch it as it goes, but I need it to run while I'm not logged in so that pretty much limits me to running it as a service, which works just fine.

The problem is, you can't use the Preview option when it's a service and the log file isn't created until the task is done. Sometimes I have this sucker sync'ing thousands of files and it takes hours. Is there any way to see progress when it's running as a Service? When it's sync'ing that way it just says "Synchronizing 0%" constantly even though it's currently transferring files, which isn't very helpful.

Also, I started the task (set up as a Service) for about 50,000 files to sync which it took a day and a half, but it did it just fine. This was just for one initial dump. I only have about 50-100 new files per day come in periodically throughout the day so it did that just fine when it was done with that initial mega-sync. Then I "stopped" the task and then "started it" again and now it's starting the sync ALL over again of the 50,000 files. Kind of annoying. If I end up stopping and re-starting a task (that's set up as a service)... is it going to re-sync EVERYTHING again?
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Real time logging while syncing as Service

Post by RiseFly »

Hello,

BestSync 2015 (beta) has fixed the bug of "Synchronizing 0%". Please download and try the new version at the download page.
If you create a new task, whether BestSync re-sync EVERYTHING or NOT, it depends on the file system and server features. If the server does not support set time-stamp of uploaded files, BestSync will re-sync the folder as the task is a new task. But you can avoid this action by click "Action"/"Customized Preview"/"Synchronize Time-stamp only" menu to let BestSync synchronize the time-tamps of the files, after that BestSync can synchronize only changed files.

Best regards
RiseFly Software
brainumbc

Post by brainumbc »

I upgraded to the beta. it's nice now that I can at least see a %, but there isn't any way to see any information on what it's synchronizing after it scans, is there? Once it starts scanning, all the preview options are greyed out. This is way better than before so I can at least get an idea of when the task will complete, but there's still no way to get more details about the number of files that it is going to sync, is there?

Also: Is it safe to assume that if a synchronization task is STOPPED in the middle of synchronizing, it has to start over from the beginning if it is started again (re-started, not re-created).

The reason I ask is that like I said, I had task set up as a "service" and it successfully sync'd about 50,000 file (jpg's scattered amongst about 2000 folders). It took two days but it finished. I had it set to run every 5 minutes so as new files came over I could see those files getting synchronized very quickly. It was wonderful. So then I changed some task settings and it looked like it started synchronizing all 50,000 ALL OVER AGAIN instead of just the new files since the end of the last synchronization like it was doing before. That was probably my fault because I think I accidentally changed it from a service to another schedule type so I understand that was my bad. I screwed it up so it had to start all over.

So when I set it back to a Service Yesterday morning. it started over with the full 50,000 files which, again I understand, was my fault. So 24 hours later (this morning) the synchronization was still going. I wanted to see how far it had gotten and the only way to see that was to STOP the task so it could spit out a log file. I opened the log file to see that it had sync'd about 20,000 files (nearly half). Great. So I started the task again and now it's back to starting over with 50,000 files instead of the remaining 30,000 and re-syncing the same files it had sync'd yesterday morning.

So... if you stop a really long task in the middle of the task, and re-start it... it has to start from the very beginning? If the answer is "YES", please let me know. It's not a "deal breaker" because this software does a really good job. I just need to know if this is how the program acts so I can plan for the future. Basically just confirm that I "shouldn't touch it until it's done".
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

From the symptom, I can say that it is the server that lack of some features for synchronization (such as set the time-stamp of uploaded files, or it does not contains real updated time-stamp in the list data). BestSync still can synchronize with this kind of server by remembering the time-stamps in a local database, and detect changed files by comparing the time-stamps of last synchronization and that of this time.
If you modify the task from application task to service task or vice versa, BestSync uses different database, so it can not find the remembered data to detect the changes, so it re-sync all the files (because the times-tamps of all the files are newer than that of the local files ).
To avoid re-synchronizing all files in this case, before synchronization, please click "Action"/"Customized Preview"/"Synchronize Time-stamp only" menu to let BestSync synchronize the time-tamps of the files, after that BestSync can synchronize only changed files.
brainumbc

Post by brainumbc »

Thanks for the information. I'll do some testing with some dummy folders. The new beta version is very helpful.

This program is exactly what I needed to synch 10's of thousands of files across servers.