Bestsync performance and priority

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
laxity

Bestsync performance and priority

Post by laxity »

When Bestsync is performing a backup of my files accross the network the disk i/o from my RAID 10 volume is extremely heavy causing the system to be very unresponsive sometimes when running other applications.
For example typing things in my Firefox browser becomes very delayed and laggy and sometimes I get beeping from the system when pressing keys as the system is unable to service key presses from the keyboard.

Is there a way to reduce or lower the priority of the copying process in Bestsync somehow?

I am often using volume shadow copy during many of my backup tasks and I am wondering if it is related to this in some way. I found in the "volume shadow copy" tab a list of different VSS-Writers. I have the default options ticked of "shadow copy optimization writer" and "system Writer". I don't know what the other options do so I haven't touched them. Is there something in these options that might help?

I am running Windows 7 64-bit and Bestsync 2010 5.4.36(64Bit).

I don't think this used to be a problem in the past and if I copy files manually over the same network shares I do not see this issue.

Many thanks,
Richard.
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Bestsync performance and priority

Post by RiseFly »

Have you selected the multiple threads option in the "Copy options"? if you have set many threads, try to reduce the number of the threads. The VSS option may affect the performance, for the help of the VSS writers, please refer to the following page:
http://www.risefly.com/help/vss.htm
Or you can find them by Google.

If you install the latest version of BestSync, there is a priority option in the "Copy Options".
laxity

Post by laxity »

Thanks for the reply.

I have not selected "process multiple files simultaneously" and the max thread count is greyed out at value "0". I haven't selected this as I have the business license and not the ultimate license which I think this feature requires.

It is a bit strange this issue as I never had this problem when I first started using Bestsync many years ago for my backups. It seems that the occasional system unresponsiveness during copying started occurring maybe over a year and a half ago. I never
really looked into the issue as it hasn't really annoyed me until now and I think it is slowly getting worse over time. It is strange that the unresponsiveness only occurs with bestsync copying rather than say doing copying manually. This is why I think
it MIGHT be related to VSS somehow.

Does the priority option in the newer versions change the copy process priority i.e. changing it from realtime, high, normal, low, etc like with system processes?

The thing that concerns me is that it might be something to do with VSS and I guess there is no way of altering the priority of that?

Many thanks,
Richard.
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

BestSync 2015 (beta) has fixed some memory leak problems, the fix may help resolve this problem.
Please try the new version to see if the problem has been resolved.