Too many TCP/IP connections (sockets)

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
saghir

Too many TCP/IP connections (sockets)

Post by saghir »

I am using BestSync to synchronize a remote network folder to my local machine on which BestSync is installed. BestSync is running as a 'Service'. The remote folder is rather large (about 200GB).

When the synchronization job starts, I see that BestSync opens a lot of TCP connections to the remote server. I can see this by typing "netstat -n" at the windows prompt. Eventually the server runs out of available TCP ports (>5000) and then the system needs a reboot.

My question is, why does BestSync open so many TCP/IP connections to the remote system from which it wants to copy the files from.
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Too many TCP/IP connections (sockets)

Post by RiseFly »

Hello,

If your version is not the latest version, please upgrade the version to the latest version. Then please follow these steps to avoid the problem:
1. When browse the network folder, leave the settings of "Impersonate a local user when run as a windows service" be empty.
See the attached "no_impersonate.png" [attachment=1]no_impersonate.png[/attachment]

2. Setup a login account in "BestSync Service" of the service manager of the control panel
See the attached "service_logon.png" [attachment=0]service_logon.png[/attachment]
Attachments
empty impersonate account
empty impersonate account
no_impersonate.png (41.94 KiB) Viewed 7399 times
Log on service
Log on service
service_logon.png (14.41 KiB) Viewed 7399 times
saghir

Post by saghir »

Thank you for your reply. I tried this and the problem was not fixed.

My guess is that there is a temporary network outage. This causes BestSync to not be able to continue with the copy in 'Run As Service' mode. When the network is restored BestSynch does not reclaim the lost sockets, but opens up new ones. Over time, the unclaimed sockets build up, until the system runs out of resource, causing BestSync to stop working. The system then need to be rebooted.

Could this be the issue? Can you please check for me that you are reclaiming open unused socket connections.
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

By our past experience, the above steps can resolve this problem.
Please check if there is other software consumes network connections.
saghir

Post by saghir »

I am very convinced that it is BestSync. The machine is brand new with a fresh install of Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2. I even did not even installed the Anti-Virus after a recent system deployment to make sure there were no conflicts.

I am thinking that when the network has an outage, BestSynch tries again, using new connections, without cleaning up the old ones. This leads to a resource issues, and causes serious interruption to the OS as a whole requiring a reboot. If I turn Best Synch off, there are no issues with the system.