Two feature requests - Time and content comparisons

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
alan9876

Two feature requests - Time and content comparisons

Post by alan9876 »

1. The option to totally ignore time differences when comparing

2. The option to compare on the basis of content
(either byte by byte, or MD5 hash comparison, or a quick CCRC, the faster the better).

Reason :-

A Windows crash changed a 500 GB partition into "Unallocated Space",
losing 400 GB in 54,568 Files, 8,461 Folders.
I have used two different data recovery tools which have each recovered these lost files and folders.
One tool is more reliable than the other, but unfortunately it saves the files with today's date-time-stamp,
whilst he other tool restores the original date-time-stamp but unfortunately it corrupts the content of 6 GB files that may have been in 200 off fragments before data loss.

I am now using an inferior tool that allows me to compare these two sets of 400 GB in 54,568 Files, 8,461 Folders.
The first quick and easy comparison is based upon size only,
and I will reject any files in the unreliable set if their size differs from those in the reliable set.
The second long and tedious comparison will be based on content,
selecting the correct date-time-stamp file if the content matches, and the "reliable" file if the content differs.

Regards
Alan
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Two feature requests - Time and content comparisons

Post by RiseFly »

Hello,

We'll consider adding the content comparison option into the future version.
By the way, if you specify the "Mirror mode", the current version of BestSync compares the timestamp as well as the size.

Best regards
alan9876

Post by alan9876 »

Thanks.

My problem is that by default version 8.0.2.5 is still operating in "Mirror Mode" and I do not know where or how to suppress this.

i.e.
"the current version of BestSync compares the timestamp as well as the size."
I desire an option to "compare the size and ignore the timestamp."

A size only comparison will quickly identify most discrepancies between the contents of two parent folders,
so content comparison is less urgent and a lower priority for me.

Regards
Alan
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Hello Alan,

If you only want to recover files from a backup folder by the criteria of file size. I think it is easier by developing a small tool to copy only files of different size than adding this kind of option to BestSync. You know, there is no space in the filtering setting tab to add this kind of option that is rarely used in the eye of synchronization.

Best regards.
alan9876

Post by alan9876 »

Thanks for considering the request.

Regards
Alan