Bug Report when using Reparse Point

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
alan9876

Bug Report when using Reparse Point

Post by alan9876 »

I am using BestSync 2012 (Portable) English Version 7.3.2.5(64Bit) to compare C:\ (on the left) with P:\ (on the right)

P:\ is a 25 GB partition created by restoring to an HDD a Macrium Reflect Partition Image of a 55 GB System C:\ from an SSD

By default the Option Box "Exclude the reparse point file/folder" (via "Modify the selection synchronisation task") is unticked.
This gives horrendous errors and makes BestSync useless for my purpose.
BestSync works perfectly if I take the NON-default action of ticking the Option Box "Exclude the reparse point file/folder"

BestSync "Preview Window" shows :- Total Num 7572 ; Total Size 2.84 GB ; Filtered Num: 100991

##############################################################################################

When I untick and remove the results from all folders excepting the "?:\Users" folder :-
Total Num: 4160 ; Total Size: 791.43 MB

When I untick and remove the results from all excepting the "?:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Moonchild Productions\" folder :-
Total Num: 1996 ; Total Size: 308.59 MB

The above folder holds a JUNCTION named "Pale Moon" which links to my Browser profile which is held in partition D:\

P:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\ is used perfectly by BestSync
C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\ is misunderstood by BestSync
BestSync observes the same 154.29 MB in 998 files via both the junctions held in C:\ and P:\

BestSync WRONGLY decides that those in C:\ do not match those in P:\, even though in each case they exist in D:\
hence it declares 1996 files and 308.59 MB of errors

BestSync WRONGLY refrains from showing the DateStamps and Sizes of those files/folders that are accessed via C:\

sshot-70.gif shows my evidence for the above
sshot-71.gif shows what I can see with Windows Explorer and a CMD.EXE "DOS Window"

NB
The sshot-70.gif details were all frozen in time when BestSync scanned the profiles to produce the PreView.
The sshot-71.gif details show slightly larger values because the browser profile was active and growing.
Hence adding the C: and P:\ results give 2126 files and 312 MB.

##############################################################################################

When I untick and remove the results from all excepting the "ProgramData" folder :-
Total Num: 676 ; Total Size: 96.82 MB

Removing all results excepting "ProgramData\ZentimoService" and "ProgramData\Application Data" folders :-
Total Num: 429 ; Total Size: 57.02 MB

Removing all results excepting "ProgramData\ZentimoService" and "ProgramData\Application Data\Microsoft" folders :-
Total Num: 373 ; Total Size: 54.62 MB

Everything is wrong about the results from "ProgramData\Application Data\Microsoft"
For a compact display, after Unchecking many items under "ProgramData\Application Data\Microsoft" :-
Total Num 301 ; Total Size 52.77 MB
sshot-67.gif Shows the special link "\Application Data\" has responsibility for 28.12 MB ; BUT
sshot-68.gif Shows the Totals reduced to Num=1 and Size below 1 MB after unchecking "\Application Data\"

sshot-69.gif Shows :-
Ctrl+Shift+1 is greyed out
At the bottom you can see
"C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Microsoft\ZentimoService\" can NOT be explored by BestSync
"P:\ProgramData\Application Data\Microsoft\ZentimoService\" CAN be explored by BestSync
I was however able to launch a second instance of the latter and change the P:\ to a C:\
Working up from the bottom you can see ZentimoService.lof.txt datestamps :-
06/11/2012 in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ZentimoService\"
10/10/2012 in "P:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ZentimoService\"
06/11/2012 in "P:\ProgramData\Application Data\Microsoft\ZentimoService\" ERROR - WRONG DATE
06/11/2012 in "C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Microsoft\ZentimoService\"
That shows the exact copy from C:\ to P:\ of the special link "C:\ProgramData\Application Data\" points back to partition C:\
BestSync follows that special link on P:\ perfectly - whether this is always beneficial I do not know.
Unfortunately although BestSync also follows the special link C:\ when detecting the files and adds their sizes to Total Size:
they are NOT displayed in the details which should show individual sizes and datestamps.

I am using Windows Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), with UAC totally disabled to minimize aggravation.

Regards
Alan
Attachments
sshot-70.gif
sshot-70.gif (48.73 KiB) Viewed 4951 times
sshot-71.gif
sshot-71.gif (71.29 KiB) Viewed 4951 times
sshot-67.gif
sshot-67.gif (66.28 KiB) Viewed 4951 times
sshot-68.gif
sshot-68.gif (65.99 KiB) Viewed 4951 times
sshot-69.gif
sshot-69.gif (81.06 KiB) Viewed 4951 times
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Bug Report when using Reparse Point

Post by RiseFly »

Thank for reporting this problem.
Because the current version of Bestsync does not follow the JUNCTIONs, and caused problem.
It may task long time to resolve this problem.
alan9876

Re: Bug Report when using Reparse Point

Post by alan9876 »

Thanks.

I am quite happy to check the option to exclude the Reparse Point.

I thought it worth reporting for the benefit of others who might need to use the Reparse Point capability of BestSync.

Regards
Alan