Running two Sync services on one folder (ftp)

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
crisis

Running two Sync services on one folder (ftp)

Post by crisis »

Dear Support,

I have a rather large folder and file structure to sync one way from a read/write server to a read only server. This has been setup and functioning correctly using BestSync ftp in one way mirror mode.

My issue was that with the large directory structure at idle the sync consumes 4.2GB of data a month simply with checking the directory structure on the remote (ftp) server. As such I have ticked "only scan source folder to detect..." which is working well.

My current concern is that if a file or folder is deleted on the remote computer the file will never synced back from the source server. My solution to this is to have a second service running 2 or 3 times a week to perform a complete mirror sync with scan remote computer in addition to the original "real time' sync.

Tests seem to indicate that everything is working fine, but before I apply this solution to the live server with a much larger data structure I would like some confirmation

My questions are twofold:
1. Would there be any issue with running two separate syncs on the same folder structure as described above
2. Would there be a better solution that still provides low amount of idle data?

Many thanks
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Running two Sync services on one folder (ftp)

Post by RiseFly »

Here are the answers of your questions:
>1. Would there be any issue with running two separate syncs on the same folder structure as described above
I think this is a good solution, must be no problem.

>2. Would there be a better solution that still provides low amount of idle data?
If the FTP server supports MLSD command, then the scanning process transfers minimum data.
If you are using "Real-time" sync, I recommend you to setup multiple "small" tasks, each task synchronizes a sub-folders of a large folder, this will reduce the scanning data dramatically.
crisis

Post by crisis »

Thanks for your response, much appreciated
jma

Post by jma »

Hi all,

Yes running two separate sync could be a solution but what will happen if the source file is modified and synced by the realtime task before the end of the scheduled task of the same source file.

Regards,
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

If two tasks upload the same file to the same folder simultaneously, one of the two task will be failed.
BestSync 2014 version 9.0.5.0 later has improved the real-time sync feature, it uses another thread to monitor the change, and there are more detailed option in the "miscellaneous" tab to adjust the timing of the full-synchronization.