Don't transfer while file is growing

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
jonesmabel

Don't transfer while file is growing

Post by jonesmabel »

I need to transfer from an ftp server to a local folder. However the files are large video files and I don't want to start the copy until the file on the ftp server has stopped growing in size, ie: the upload has finished.
Preferably I would like to start the download as soon as the upload has ended because they are TV news items and urgent. I have the ultimate license.

Any ideas?
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Don't transfer while file is growing

Post by RiseFly »

Sorry, the current version of BestSync can not synchronize the file that grows during the transferring.
We may add this feature in the future version.
jonesmabel

Post by jonesmabel »

Perhaps I did not explain very well.
The source file is on an ftp server. This source file is being uploaded by somebody else and is still in progress when BestSync scans the ftp server for new files.
Bestsync sees a new file and starts a download, I think it stops when it has downloaded the number of bytes that was the size of the file when the download started.
Bestsync gets to the end and says sucess. In the meantime the source file has grown.
On the next scan of the ftp server Bestsync sometimes seems to ignore the file (even though the file size is now bigger) sometimes it starts the download again. I can't see what triggers these different actions.
However in either case Bestsync has made an error.
In the case when the now bigger file is ignored the destination file is not complete, in the case where Bestsync starts again it has lost a lot of time during which it could have been doing other things and it has also made the destination wait much longer than necessary for a completed file.
This is important because the files I am using are often >5GB and will inevitably take a long time, if they have to be downloaded more than once you can see the problem.
You are correct of course when you say that Bestsync will not transfer a growing file from a LOCAL folder.

So my request is that when the source is on an FTP server that Bestsync does NOT start a download until it has verified that the filesize is stable.
We are using an Ultimate license
rgds Jonesmabel
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

We are considering to support this feature to BestSync 2012.
jonesmabel

Post by jonesmabel »

RiseFly wrote:
> We are considering to support this feature to BestSync 2012.

So I guess you decided against this feature :(

jonesmabel
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Please try BestSync 2012, we have impliment the feature in BestSync 2012.