Large File Transfer

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
jw stephenson

Large File Transfer

Post by jw stephenson »

I note the following in the feature list: "Fast Download! Download one large file by multiple FTP sessions." In watching the preview window with large files, this is not happening and I don't see any check box to elect to do so. When the backup gets down to the last large file, everything slows to a crawl since prior to that, multiple files were going at the same time. I have the Ultimate 6.2.03 (64-bit) version. This feature would be very handy for large files like Exchange Server email backups.

Is it possible that this feature is automatic and only works if a single, large file is filtered in the task?

Thanks!

Jeff

EDIT: Just checked with a single 140MB file and it does not work that way either. Am I missing something?
RiseFly
Site Admin

Re: Large File Transfer

Post by RiseFly »

When you select the "Process multiple files simultaneously" option in "Copy option".
If there are multiple files need to be synchronized, BestSync will process multiple files simultaneously first.
When there is a large files downloading, and there are idle threads, BestSync will download the large file in multiple-segments by multiple threads simultaneously. This process is automatic.
jw stephenson

Post by jw stephenson »

I propose that it is not working based on testing with one large file and the transfer rate is the same (not exact of course due to differing connections) regardless of whether the box is checked. Can someone else check this with a large (1GB ish) sized file?

JEff
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

The multiple segmented downlaod only happens when "download" a large file, you can start the preview, and should be able to view the following screenshot.
Attachments
multiple segmented downlaod
multiple segmented downlaod
muli_session2.png (3.4 KiB) Viewed 14809 times
jw stephenson

Post by jw stephenson »

Thank you for the clarification that it applies only to downloading not uploading of files. Any chance that the feature for uploading is on the short list of future enhancements?

Jeff
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Because the server may not support uploading a same file by multiple thread, so we have not impliment this feature.
jw stephenson

Post by jw stephenson »

RiseFly wrote:
> Because the server may not support uploading a same file by multiple thread, so we have not impliment this feature.

I take this to mean that at least some of the hard part (coding) is completed but the implementation is delayed or even killed due to the unknown ability of various servers to handle the feature. Would it make sense to have yet another "checkbox" that turns this feature on/off based on the task? If it fails, the user can uncheck the box and default back to the single file only strategy. The feature/technology is simply too great to not try and provide for uploading in some manner.

Thank you in advance for your consideration on this feature request.

Jeff
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Multiple-session uploading is more difficult than multiple-session downloading when resumming from last broken points is also required.
We may consider adding this feature in version 2012 if you are convinced that the feature is usable.
jw stephenson

Post by jw stephenson »

File sizes continue to grow and more and more people are uploading everything they own to cloud storage sites. I think if not 2012 then for sure 2013 version. I vote for 2012 and will pay for the upgrade for this feature alone.