Conflict detection

Welcome to BestSync Support Forum!
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, suggestion, please summit here, we'll try to reply you in short time.
Thank you!
kxcooper

Conflict detection

Post by kxcooper »

I've just downloaded this promising program to evaluate. Looks good but I'm stuck on one aspect.

How does the program detect conflicts? That is when the same file is changed on both the source and destination.

I'm looking to do bidirectional sync between a laptop and a desktop. It is possible for users to update the file on both PCs.

I've tested this and the program just overwrites one of the files with no warning.

I need the program to alert the user that the file has been updated on both sides so that remedial action (merging the changes in both files) can be taken.

Help please!
alan9876

Re: Conflict detection

Post by alan9876 »

This is a reliable system I have often encountered :-
If more than 1 person needs to modify a file, then a master of the file can be held on a server, with read access to all interested parties,
but no-one can write unless they "check-out" the file which sets a flag so that no one else can check-out and modify until it has been checked in.

Letting two people modify the same file at the same time can be painful.
With luck their independent work can be merged to produce a new version that incorporates both sets of revisions,
but suitable merging software can still need manual adjustment,
and I have NEVER experienced this capability without there being a "central" version of the original file to allow detection and annotation of which person altered what set of text,
and it seems unlikely that such a capability could be developed.

I do not know the capabilities and inabilities of BestSync itself because I have only just started to use it,
but my experience over 30 years suggests that you will not only have to deal with conflicts between two sets of edits
you could also create major conflicts between the two users if one of them has to redo his work because the other version replaced it,
and they will both be mad if they each have to redo their work

Regards
Alan
kxcooper

Post by kxcooper »

Thanks for replying Alan.

I'm guessing BestSync must be storing file details in a database to detect deletions??? Here's how I would see conflict detection working...

On first sync, BestSync stores the last modified timestamp for the file in both the source and destination folders. Users then modify the file in both the source and destination.

On the subsequent sync, BestSync compares the last modified timestamp of the file in the source folder against it's database. It also compares the last modified timestamp of the file in the destination folder against it's database.

BestSync then identifies that both files have been changed since the last sync and informs the user in no uncertain terms!

I'm not asking for BestSync to resolve the problem, just to detect it and warn the user performing the sync.

I'm using Unison at present and it traps this scenario. But it's a bit long in the tooth now and I'm looking for a more modern faster replacement.

Can anyone confirm BestSync has this functionality or can be made to trap this situation?

Many thanks.
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

Hello kxcooper,
BestSync is designed to synchronize the folders automatically. The action of the current version of BestSync is, if BestSync detects that a file is newer than the another, BestSync will just overwrite the older file automatically.
But BestSync will backup the older file in a backup folder that is created by the synchronizing time, and give you a email notification, so you have a chance to merge the older file manually after the synchronization.
kxcooper

Post by kxcooper »

Ok thanks for confirming RiseFly.

So this works providing you have backups turned on and have the email notification feature of either the Business or Ultimate License.

My personal view is that any bidirectional sync program should warn the user of conflicts when it's running in interactive mode. And then allow the user to choose to do nothing (skip the conflict file), overwrite in either direction, or maintain (rename and sync) both versions of the file. Perhaps you could implement that in a future version.

Many thanks.
alan9876

Post by alan9876 »

What you believe is what might serve your special needs, but I think most users would never have those needs

I believe BestSync does a perfect bi-directional sync between a User alterable system and an archive system that can accept updates and also revert to the previous.

I think your requirement presupposes that Synchronisation is TRI-Directional,
in that there must be a third system which provides the time stamps for each and every item within the boundaries of the regions being synchronised.
You need timestamps for files that have NOT yet been altered.

Only with this database would it be possible to detect that both the Desktop and the Laptop have new versions of a file that has never previously changed,
and only then would it know the existence of a conflict that needs resolution.

It may be appropriate for you to say how you would deploy BestSync.
e.g. Would there be only one installation on the Desktop, and that would govern all sync either way,
and the Laptop gets synced and its files updated whilst the the laptop user was about to use or even modify his own files,
or would the Laptop have a second installation so the either user can launch a sync and possible disrupt the other user.

Regards
Alan
kxcooper

Post by kxcooper »

Hi RiseFly, I think you know what I'm after but just to try and elaborate on my 2nd post... I'm after fully synced, fully usable PCs, not an archive system. Alan, let us know if you spot a flaw in the scenario...

2 computers involved - desktop PC and laptop. BestSync installed on the laptop only. One folder on the laptop being synced with one folder on the desktop. Say the desktop shares the folder and the laptop maps it to a drive letter over the LAN, but that's not important.

A user of the desktop creates a file my.doc. We run BestSync on the laptop and my.doc gets copied to the laptop. So far so good.

Laptop is taken out of the house on holiday - even laptops need a holiday!!! Laptop user updates my.doc.

Whilst the laptop is away, another user modifies the desktop copy of my.doc.

Laptop comes home and is connected to the desktop. BestSync is again run on the laptop. I want it to tell the user that my.doc has been updated on both systems and manual intervention is required to sort out the mess.

This situation can also happen if the laptop user comes home, forgets to sync, and updates the file on the desktop (I have it set up so that all my family see the same environment irrespective of which PC they log in to). You'd hope in that scenario the laptop user would realise the file didn't look the same but I also sync application configuration files (Firefox and Thunderbird profiles), address books, etc, that wouldn't immediately be spotted.

You can test this scenario on a single PC. Create 2 folders. Create a file in folder 1. Run BestSync. Edit the file in both folders. Rerun BestSync.

Hope that explains what I'm after. Perhaps I'm looking for this to be too foolproof but having worked in the IT industry for many decades I've seen the mess people get in to if the systems don't offer the maximum protection.

Many thanks.
alan9876

Post by alan9876 »

In case of confusion, please note that I am a new user and enthusiastic about what BestSync does for me,
but have experience of only some of the facilities.

I suggest that you assume either PC may suffer a dead HDD, and that you place duplicate backups of your special folder on both PC.
That may be useful should disaster strike, and also when determining whether a conflict has arisen.

Perhaps when you log on to the Laptop it could Auto-Start a Preview (only) of the DeskTop c.f. a Backup.
If the Desktop has changed there MAY be a conflict so compare Laptop with Backup and if that is different you have a conflict.
If there is a conflict you need to resolve that conflict by a suitable change to Laptop\MyFile.doc.

You may now use the Laptop and when finished use BestSync to update both backups and Desktop from your Laptop.
Your family will learn that whilst you are using the Laptop any changes they make to Desktop\MyFile.doc will be cancelled out when you log out.

Regards
Alan
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

hello Kxcooper,
We are considering to use color to indicate the confliction in the preview window in the future version. Please wait for one or two weeks.
RiseFly
Site Admin

Post by RiseFly »

BestSync 2011 Ver 6.2.11 is released, the new version implimented the conflict detecting feature.